September 16, 2013

I Hate the Gen Y Label


Working as a marketer in the real world, I am all too aware of the Generation labels and stereotypes associated with each Generation.


Image sourced from mcm.uws.edu.au

Born into the early 1980s, I am unfortunately part of the Gen Y stereotype. Generation Y is all too often labelled as the lazy generation who choose to stay at home as long as possible and are all too reliant on their parents. This really gets my goat!

I'll be the first to admit that I was born into fortunate circumstances and am very thankful to my parents for all their hard work they put in over the years to raise and educate myself and siblings. However, I refuse to believe the fluff that the media dishes out. Today's fluff comes from Mamamia with this story: http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy/ I must say I was an avid reader of Mamamia...until now.

I was always interested in and pushed for my own independence, which is probably why I flew the coop at the ripe age of 20 to live in London. I wanted to explore the world and earn my own money. Even as a kid, I wanted the chance to walk home by myself and catch the train in high school, rather than being reliant on my parents for a lift to and from school. I am very realistic of my expectations and aim for the moon, without overshooting it.

Do you hate the stereotypes associated with your demographic or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...